Crispy Fried Rice Bowl with Tofu, Chili Sauce & Sauerkraut
This dish is perfect for an appetizer or a hearty lunch that uses some leftover rice. Cold or hot, stick this in your lunchbox for when you need a nutrient-hit on-the-go!
The texture of fried rice really helps all of the other flavours & oils to infuse with the whole dish. Feel free to sub out any veggies for what you might have in your fridge. Our Scratch Cultured Chili Sauce really gives this some earthy warmth, with our Garlic Sauerkraut bringing vegetal acidity to the dish.
The really simple trick of steeping some ribboned carrot in sherry vinegar gives this dish some sweet pickled crunch as a finish. We hope you enjoy. Please take this little hack and use it in your other cooking, too.
You can sub out the free range eggs to keep this plant-based!!
ALSO, try swapping our Scratch Kimchi in for sauerkraut to give take this into a different spice dimension.
Please read how to make below.
Ingredients feeds 3-4
- 3 tablespoons of chopped fresh chives
- 4-5 ribs of kale
- 200g firm tofu, diced
- 880g rice, cooked
- 100g coconut oil (or any neutral oil)
- 2 medium carrots, cut into ribbons with a peeler
- 1 cup of sherry vinegar (cider vinegar works, too)
- 20g garam marsala
- 2 organic free range eggs, beaten
- hearty glug of Scratch Cultured Chili Sauce (add to your spice preference)
- 115g Scratch Garlic Sauerkraut
- salt & pepper
- rubber spatula
- mixing bowl
- vegetable peeler
- large frying pan / wok
- Quickly marinate your carrot ribbons in the sherry vinegar and salt
- Get a pan on high heat and add your coconut oil
- Depending on the size of your pan you may need to work in batches, wait for your oil to heat up
- Add a 1 inch layer of rice to the pan
- Allow the rice to caramelize and crisp, don’t disturb it for 5-6 mins to ensure this
- Using a rubber spatula turn the crispy rice over onto another side
- SEASON, add garam marsala, pepper & salt
- Add the diced tofu to warm through with your hot rice
- Push the rice to the side and add your beaten eggs. Using your spatula fold the rice and eggs together – the eggs will scramble and fry with the rice
- Once full incorporated and the eggs are cooked, add and fold the rest of your ingredients to create the main dish
- Finish with bundles of your quick-pickled carrot ribbons!