Scratch Bloody Mary
The Bloody Mary is arguably the OG brunch cocktail. Maybe you had one too many the night before? Either way, this bad boy is super customizable, super savoury and packed full of vitamins and minerals. You can play adjust the spice level to suit you. But rest assured, you can probably have this instead of breakfast, if you really want to.
Our Cultured Chili Sauce packs a huge flavour punch. It is full bodied, astringent and has layers of taste & spice. We recommend not using a straw because the seeds (we like to leave in) can cause blocks. Plus, you want that hit of citrus and salt form your rim.
Feel free to use whatever spirit you feel like, gin and tequila totally work! And they even come with their fun names if you want to nerd out on what you’re making. You can also use lime if you don’t have lemon. The tastes will work with both, we just prefer lemon because it is a bit of a fresher, more vibrant citrus – which really helps balance the other ingredients.
Get your ingredients ready before you make this. If you have really ripe tomatoes to hand and can blitz and strain them you’ll have a really fresh a beautiful juice to accompany your ingredients.
Please read how to make below.
Ingredients makes 1
- 2oz Vodka (we used Sons of Vancouver Chili Vodka)
- 5 splashes of Worcestershire Sauce (bonus points if you can say this correctly)
- juice of half a lemon
- lemon wedge
- tomato Juice
- a pinch of paprika
- black pepper
- ½ oz Scratch Fine Foods Cultured Chili Sauce
- your choice of pickled garnish – today we are using an asparagus spear
- some of the pickling liquid from your garnish
- citrus juicer
- long spoon
- chopping board
- Rub some juicy lemon flesh on the rim of the glass so you can dip it in salt to make it stick – you can rim just 1/2 the glass to give you choice between sipping without any salt
- Add the lemon juice, Worcestershire, vodka, paprika and your chili sauce. If you like a really tangy Bloody Mary add some of the pickle brine from whatever you’re using.
- Add the tomato juice, do this before any ice so the juice helps to mix up all of the other liquid ingredients!
- Add the ice, your garnish, grind a a couple of turns of black pepper – we do this last because you will want to smell it as you drink it!
- Finish with a lemon wedge and a straw if you need one. Enjoy, whatever time of day it is…